February 2, 2011

Blackstone Valley Amateur Radio Club - not just another club!

Just when I thought that I would never bother to join another radio club (primarily due to inactivity or non-interest exhibited by members), I've "discovered" a radio club practically in my backyard that stands the stale stereotype on its ears.

The Blackstone Valley Amateur Radio Club (BVARC) was established in 1953, and by all accounts has been going strong ever since.  Headquarted in the Woonsocket, Rhode Island area (about a 25 minute ride from my Massachusetts QTH) the club is a bevy of activity with enthusiastic members both young and old.  A lot of clubs talk about helping members achieve their potential in ham radio - BVARC lives it!  A "Consortium" of free ongoing amateur radio teaching seminars has been ongoing for the past 18 months and shows no sign of slowing down.

I attended my initial meeting of the club the other night, and am looking forward to my next monthly meeting when I qualify for full membership with my attendance.  The club boasts a very well designed website (http://w1ddd.org) and also operates a weekly simplex net (without going through a repeater) on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 pm local on 146.565 MHz.  (And yes - just about everyone was booming in on the net).

Great job guys.  I'm glad I found you!