February 9, 2011

Platoon Sergeant Douglas A. Vibert, Jr., USMC - Killed In Action at Iwo Jima, March 1, 1945


Long time readers of this blog know that much of my original motivation for starting this blog was as a means to memorialize my dad who was and will always be my personal hero. My dad never spoke at length about his experiences in the Pacific as a young Marine in World War II but occasionally talked about his best friend Doug Vibert, who enlisted in the Marines sometime after my father had already been overseas. I remember my father telling me that Doug had been the sole support of his mother prior to the war and because of that fact, Doug was apparently exempt from the draft - and didn't have to go to war. But, like many others of his generation, his duty to his country was unquestioned. I remember my dad telling me that he had begged his best friend Doug not to go, and that it wasn't "like the movies". Doug, who apparently admired and looked up to my dad, wouldn't have it any other way. He enlisted in the Marines and eventually left for the Pacific, just as my father had.

This month (February 19 to be exact) marks the 66th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Iwo Jima...and March 1 marks the 66th anniversary of Doug's Vibert's death on the hard rocky sands of Iwo Jima. Platoon Sergeant Douglas A. Vibert, Jr. was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for gallantry occurring in action of February 21, 1945 just days prior to his death. (He was also awarded the Purple Heart). Doug was buried at sea in honored glory. I remember, many years later, my father would very occasionally mention Doug to me, and then get very quiet with the thousand yard stare of a man who has seen too much and remembered too much.

Rest in peace Marine. Thank you for your courage and your duty to your country. Thank you for being my dad's friend. I never met you Doug, but I never forgot you.