February 20, 2011

Revisiting the KofC Net

This past Saturday, I did something that was long overdue: I checked into the KofC Net on 20 meters, something I had not done in many months.

I had originally started the ball rolling for a Knights of Columbus HF Net by having the following "Stray" published in the March 2007 issue of QST (the monthly journal of the ARRL): "I would like to get in touch with.Knights of Columbus members interested in forming a K of C HF net."  At the time I had a few responses, but the ball slowly got rolling.  Today, through the efforts of Ron, K0LMD and others, the KofC Net now meets on Saturdays on the 20 meter band on 14.243 MHz at 3pm ET (2000 UTC).  It's not necessary to be a Knight to join the Net.  Another session is listed for Saturdays at 9AM ET (1400 UTC) on the 40 meter band on 7.193 MHz, but I'm not yet sure how active the 40 meter session has been.

Conditions on 20 meters weren't great in New England this Saturday, in part due to rolling radio blackouts generated by the recent solar flares reported recently here.  I was able to hear the net control station, K0LMD in Colorado (and considerably better once Ron pointed his Yagi beam antenna toward the northeast.  What was really funny though was seeing my own call spotted by VA3BOO on the DX cluster, sort of commemorating my (up to now) rare appearance on the net.  It made me feel like I was rare DX - thanks Joe!)

Stop by the KofC Net and say hello..I'm going to try and get on their more often myself.

(See the "Must Visit" pages on the right side of the blog for more info on the KofC Net.)