October 30, 2011

Baby Grundig

Just picked up a nifty little digital AM-FM-shortwave receiver, a Grundig Traveller II G8.  All I can say is that they have come a long way since I last acquired a portable shortwave radio.  This little radio has outstanding audio and selectivity.  About the only things I really miss is the ability to tune sideband - but it's not intended as a ham band receiver.  Other drawbacks are lack of an external antenna input (only needed for shortwave or world band listening (and I can always clip a wire on to the built in telescoping antenna if needed) and a direct entry keypad.  Actually, the dual fast/slow tuning ability of the tuning wheel almost makes up for the lack of direct frequency entry.  

The retail price of these babies is in the 50 buck range, but the best part for me is that I got it for no cash as part of a rewards program for a credit card that I don't use anymore (in partial response to a national super bank wanting to charge me a monthly fee for using my own debit card...don't even get me started on THOSE bastards, as I've already indicated my opinion to them by using my feet....).  Anyway, I'm enjoying this little radio!