June 8, 2010

Another suscpicious grandpa

The suspicious grandpa story reminds me of the time last year when I came under the scrutiny of the local gendarmes.

I have a Sony Cybershot camera that I use in the course of my work, so naturally it usually has a number of shots of wireless sites and other related infrastructure.

In addition to the wireless pics, the camera also contained a number of photos of the interior cockpit of a Frontier Airlines Airbus (flown by my son Erik as First Officer). 

Wait, it gets better. My granddaughter Alexi had recently borrowed the camera to take pics of various Washington, DC sites while on a class trip for school.

So far, so good.  I should point out that the camera was labeled with my name and address - which is crucial to the story.

Well, I got a phone call from the Milford PD asking me if I owned a camera fitting a certain description as it had been turned in to them by an honest citizen who had found it that morning - after it had apparently been misplaced by my teen granddaughter.  The police were polite, but firm in suggesting that I come down to the station to answer some questions (and hopefully pick up the camera).  In seems that the honest citizen who found the camera became very concerned when he/she found pictures of wireless infrastructure,  interior photos of an Airbus cockpit, as well as strategic locations in Washington, DC.  (Now I'm thinking, "Billy boy, you got a lot of 'splainin to do...")

At about the time that I'm trying to explain my "coincidental innocence" to the desk sergeant (who turned out to be a great guy) and convince him that I was just a harmless old geezer, my teenage granddaughter - accompanied by about a dozen of her high school girlfriends - stormed into the lobby of the police station to see what was up - they had apparently seen me going into the station.  Fortuitous timing - Alexi eventually helped me to convince the sergeant that she had lost the camera, so the story had a happy ending - and I got the camera back.

Oh yeah - did I happen to mention that the camera case was colored shocking pink?  Try explaining that one to the desk sergeant.

No comments: