June 8, 2010

Scorpion Antennas


I've been wanting for some time now to return to "those thrilling days of yesteryear" when I had an HF radio (back then, my old Atlas 210X and Hustler top loaded dummy load, um, I mean antenna...) installed in the vehicle. Had a lot of fun back in those days working HF mobile around the world. (Of course back then, we actually had sunspots, but I digress.) W1WM remembers us trying to re-cross the Canadian border all the while ragchewing with a ham friend on Cape Cod who just wouldn't stop yakkin'...

Anyway, times have changed and equipment has changed with them. I now have what I consider the perfect vehicle for a rolling HF station, my 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK. Unfortunately, mounting a "state of the art" screwdriver antenna on the Wrangler is challenging at best. As long as I'm in my long range planning (i.e., dreaming) for this project, I decided to go for the very best in antennas...which is arguable the Scorpion 680, an 18 lb. behemoth made by NI7J in Phoenix. Seeking to try and compile info on how others may have handled the installation of such a beast on their Wranglers, I gave Ron a call in Phoenix last week. Even after I explained to Ron that I was a step away (make that a year or more) from actually spending cold hard cash on additional mobile HF gear, Ron was exceedingly gracious and helpful, and took a genuine interest in my situation. This is a guy and company I can do business with.

By the way - if any reader has any experience in mounting a large screwdriver antenna to a late model Jeep Wrangler, get in touch, will ya?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the first time on this site and am really enthusiastic about and so many good articles. I think it's just very good.